I've read lots and lots of studies that say how long before and after ovulation a women is fertile.

Problem is...I don't know for 100% certain when she ovulates. I know when she takes an OPK test and it is positive.

My questions are:
2.) How many hours long is the "window" when an OPK test will test positive?
3.) How many times a day does a women who is TTC typically take an OPK test?
4.) How many days before and after a positive OPK is a women typically fertile?
5.) Does it depend on the brand of OPK test?
6.) How many days before or after ovulation does a basal thermometer say "Ding Ding Ding! She's ready. Time to baste." (I've never seen one, but I visualize them as like those little thermometers in purdue turkeys that pop out when it is ready...)
Thursday, May 24 2012, 07:28 AM

Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 24 2012, 11:00 AM - #Permalink
Resolved
0 votes
> 1.) How many hours before (or after) a positive OPK test does a women typically ovulate?

The boxes say 24 hours, but in my experience, ovulation is typically between 12 and 48 hours after an OPK+.

> 2.) How many hours long is the "window" when an OPK test will test positive?

It varies completely on the woman. For some, it is as short as 12 hours (thus can be missed if only testing once a day), for others it will be as long as two or three days. It depends on how much LH her body produces, and how quickly it dissipates in her urine.

> 3.) How many times a day does a women who is TTC typically take an OPK test?

Typically once a day (best time to test is in the afternoon since the surge happens in the morning and it takes a few hours to show up in the urine). Some will test twice a day if they missed a surge in a previous cycle.

> 4.) How many days before and after a positive OPK is a women typically fertile?

Before? Maybe 1 or 2 days (though this isn't useful unless you have a time machine). After? 1 to 3 depending on the answer to question #1. Peak fertility is the day of and the day after OPK+ (corresponding to the day before and the day of ovulation).

> 5.) Does it depend on the brand of OPK test?

Yes and no. They all work the same, but some women will have better luck with some brands because it's what works for them (easier to read, more sensitive to her body, easier to test, etc).

> 6.) How many days before or after ovulation does a basal thermometer say "Ding Ding Ding! She's ready. Time to baste."

Temperatures only shift the day after ovulation. The shift can only be confirmed if it stays high for a couple of days. By then, it's too late to inseminate. Temperatures are still very useful for confirming ovulation and giving an answer to question #1. Both are important for determining if she should inseminate again to ensure coverage of her fertile window, and for planning subsequent cycles of TTC.
The reply is currently minimized Show
Responses (3)
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 24 2012, 02:52 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Here is a great example for you. I am on clomid and being monitored by ultrasound although I also track at home with OPKs and Fertile Focus. I do not track BBT because there are too many variables and I want to know BEFORE I ovulate - not after. This last cycle was a bit unexpected. I had planned to test twice a day beginning CD12 but this was only CD 11 (was expecting O around CD 14-16) I tested on Saturday at 1pm - Negative. I forgot to test on Sunday until 8pm and it was positive. I was feeling quite eggy so I shouldn't have been surprised but it had been a while so I didn't recognize the cramping as "eggy" until afterwards. I didn't sleep well that night and soon after rising the next morning I suddenly felt much better. I suspected ovulation and sure enough my ultrasound mid-morning showed a collapsed follicle. Insem was within 12 hours but it was still not successful. Several things could have happened - one of which is...did the egg really hang around for 12 hours or was it a shorter time.

I agree with all of the answers above except after ovulation you are only fertile for about 24 hours or less. Sperm can survive in our bodies for 1-2 days with the right cervical mucus but the egg has a short life if it is not fertilized. My dr confirmed that after last ultrasound showing recent collapsed follicle. She said "hurry". I think she meant that ;) The OPK information I read also encouraged testing between the hours of 11am - 6pm and to never test first thing after waking up.

So my personal lessons I learned from my last cycle:

I ovulate early on Clomid. (CD 12 instead of the usual CD 14 - even the dr was surprised)
    Schedule ultrasound on CD9.
    Test OPK 1x on CD 9-10 and 2x on CD 11-13 or until +.
    Plan for Insem on CD 11-13.

I hope this helps anyone who needed the info on their journey!
    • MagnusMoss
      more than a month ago
      You use a lot of abbreviations I'm not familiar with, and give hormonal data that wasn't quite what I was asking.

How many hours after the OPK test was positive did you ovulate, according to the sonogram? That day? The next day? Or is the sonogram precise enough to answer that question?
    • Vancouver.Stork
      more than a month ago
      > I agree with all of the answers above except after ovulation you are only fertile for about 24 hours or less.

I only discussed fertility after OPK+, not after ovulation.
    • sweetbttrf1y
      more than a month ago
      I apologize for using abbreviations that made it confusing - it's just easier to type that way.
      OPK = Ovulation Prediction Kit
      BBT = Body Basal Temperature
      CD = Cycle Day (followed by a number) CD1 is always the first day of period
      O = Ovulation

(Let me know if I left any out and I will clarify.)

The sonogram cannot tell you exactly when you ovulated. But the sonogram showed a collapsed follicle and because of the size and shape you could tell that it had collapsed recently. If it had been a longer amount of time between ovulation and the sonogram, then the measure of the collapsed follicle would have been smaller. Just to clarify - the follicle is round until the egg is released. Once the egg is released (which is the point of ovulation) the follicle takes a collapsed appearance and is more oval in shape - like a ball that is losing air. So - I got the 1st +OPK @ 8pm Sunday night and by the time of the sonogram @ 11am Monday, there was a collapsed follicle. I do wonder if I had tested the OPKs correctly on Saturday and Sunday (I missed a test at 6pm Saturday and 11am Sunday) if I would have gotten a +OPK sooner.

@Vancouver.Stork -- So sorry. You are correct. I had misread your statement. You are right that a positive OPK does not mean that you have ovulated. It means Ovulation is imminent - usually within 24-48 hours. So yes- from the point of +OPK fertile window is 1-3 days depending on when ovulation actually happens. And from the point of ovulation - if you know when that is - the window is closing quickly so only 12-24 hours left.
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Thursday, May 24 2012, 03:08 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    In short, in depends on the tests that are being used and it *highly* depends on the woman. Some of my recipients can literally give me the days on which they would like to meet about three weeks ahead of time. Others have to test by the day and send me daily updates on their status.

It will depend slightly on the test. Some of the tests seem to be cheaper and not work as well from what I have heard. First Response and Clearblue seem to be reliable. A lot of my recipients use a Clearblue test that gives a 24-36 hour warning. In that case, we will meet the day of the "smiley face" and the next day as well. If a woman really knows her cycle well, we will meet both days before the ovulation as well as the day of ovulation.

A woman is not fertile very long after the ovulation. The egg will typically start to dissolve in about 12 hours if it has not been fertilized. Since sperm can survive anywhere from 60-96 hours inside of a woman, it's better to start a little bit before the positive test (e.g. when a faint line is present).
    The reply is currently minimized Show
  • Accepted Answer

Saturday, May 26 2012, 09:49 PM - #Permalink
    Resolved
    0 votes
    Cervical insem with a fresh donation is probably best before ovulation, because as others here have said, the egg-white cervical mucus not only allows the sperm in, but "feeds" them so they can hang around awhile. Ms. Egg does not have that advantage. The odds are best when the boys are waiting for her arrival, which makes a day before and the day of OPK+ the best time to try. With repro clinics using washed cryo samples, you call when you get a positive and the Dr. usually does IUI the following morning.

OPKs are very expensive, making frequent testing more difficult. If you go to amazon or ebay and get the most basic LH dip-strips (no stick to pee on or smileys) for about $.25 each, it's easier to test several times a day.

@Magnus: LOL at the turkey thermometer comment...
    The only thing different about a basal thermometer is that it has an extra digit after the decimal because the differences in temp can be that subtle. My basal temp drops slightly the day of ovulation (then rises after which is typical.) For example, every morning for a week I might be 97.17- 97.26 upon waking (but not moving or getting out of bed.) One morning I am 96.32. Other signs line up too, like OPK +, EWCM, ovulation sensation (which for me alternates sides monthly) and the next morning my basal temp is 97.89 and stays high until my period, confirming ovulation.
    • MagnusMoss
      more than a month ago
      I know that a women is typically fertile from a couple days before ovulation until a day after. The question is...is she fertile a day before a positive OPK? This kind of boils down to how soon before ovulation do you get a positive OPK. If the OPK tested positive a day before ovulation, you might be fertile for two days after the OPK. Also, the sperm survives better if the women is producing the mucus the egg lives off, which it does right before ovulation. Does the body produce that mucus before the positive OPK test?

Also...how long after a positive OPK does your temperature typically drop?
    The reply is currently minimized Show
Your Reply

KDR Community

Statistics
Total Members: 17501
Total Groups: 63
Total Photos: 14505
Total Videos: 133

Support KDR

Please consider supporting our mission

Find us on